The purpose of Books and a Blanket is to promote literacy and well-being among young students who are in need.
Books and a Blanket is based on an idea conceived by two sisters, Harper and Maggie. They are both avid readers who have hearts for giving.
Each year, prior to the Winter Break, we give children in need a basket of books and a quilt or fleece blanket. Given the importance of literacy at early ages, we focus on children in grades pre-K to 6. Our project ensures the students have books to read and something to keep them warm.
What We've Achieved
- Distributed 119 baskets to children in Bryan and College Station, Texas.
- Reached children in two schools, grades pre-K through 4.
- That year, we distributed 119 blankets and about 1,200 books.
- Distributed 330 baskets to children in Bryan, College Station, and Brenham, Texas.
- Reached children in 5 elementary schools, grades pre-K through 4.
- That year, we distributed approximately 330 blankets and 5,000 books.
- Distributed 802 baskets to children in Bryan, College Station, Brenham, Navasota, Somerville, and Hearne, Texas.
- We reached children in 8 elementary schools, grades pre-K through 4.
- That year, we distributed 802 blankets and 12,030 books.
- In the Spring, we worked with the Brazos Valley Food Bank to distribute 900 books to children in need.
- In September, we worked with Voices for Children to give books to foster children as they started their school year.
- Distributed books and blankets to children in Bryan, College Station, Brenham, Navasota, Somerville, Hearne, Madisonville, and Caldwell. We reached children in 11 elementary schools, grades pre-K through 6, totaling 1,270 blankets and 13,650 books.
- That year, we distributed over 15,000 books.
- In the Spring and Summer, we worked with Voices for Children to distribute 222 to children in need.
- In the Summer, we worked with Kimberly Moore to send 300 books to children in El Salvador.
- Distributed books and blankets to children in 12 schools from 8 different independent school districts around the Brazos Valley, reaching children in Head Start through 6th grade. This included 19,330 books and 1792 blankets.
- Over the year, we distributed approximately 30,000 books and 4,340 blankets to kids in need.
- We distributed books to 7 entire schools, allowing every child in those schools to choose 5 books and a blanket and 15 books to the highest in need at two additional schools.
- We also developed new partnerships as a way to further our impact and reach more kids in the community, as well as partners from previous years. Our partners include United Way, Rotary, Habitat for Humanity, Hurricane Harvey Effort, Habitat for Humanity's effort in Guatemala, Clara Mounce Library, and the Brazos Valley Food Bank.
- To date, we have distributed over 80,880 books to 8,640 children in need.